Bookmark & Share
Naltrexone implant drug therapy patient from UK
I am a 29 year old woman from England and I started using drugs at 17, and progressed on the crack cocaine and heroin at 21, so I've had a problem with them for 8 years. I've tried 2 detoxes in England, as well as numerous home detoxes which didn't work. I was quite apprehensive about coming here. It was something that I really wanted to do. So, it was actually my mom that found it on the internet. I had a look, and then spoke to dr Alexey and finalized everything. I caught the plane over here. They met me from the airport and brought me here. During my first day, I was put to sleep and given anaesthesia. On a third day again sleeping, another procedure, so for the first three, four days it was completely sleep, didn't have any withdrawals. Then on a fifth, sixth day waiting for my naltrexone implant which I have for three months now, or will have for three months. I had tiny, tiny, little withdrawals, but I was given medication straight away, as soon as they knew about it. The doctors, the staff, the nurses, the patients, they've all been terrific. I got along really well with all of them.
- Are you satisfied with the results of the treatment? Did our treatment meet your expectation?
The treatment succeded my expectations. I didn't think it would be so easy. I really didn't, and I am overwhelmed how well it's gone and I've spoken to my mom every day on the phone and it's been terrific.
- Ok, you know, it's not a secret, when you girls are, for example, on drug forums on the internet. There is a lot of negative information about the ultra rapid opioid detoxification. You past it, you have your own experience. What can you say, what do you have to say to people who say that ultra rapid detoxification, this is a horrible procedure, it's like a torture? What can you say to them?
Well, it's definitely not like a torture. The two detoxes I've done back in England were like torture. You just have to battle for you on a medication you are aloud at a specific time, whereas here, you are put to sleep to get heroin out of your system, and any time withdrawals you have you were given medication.
- Mostly, people who are on heroin, on opioids, they have to decide what to do next, what kind of treatment to choose. Actually in modern addiction medicine there are two options, mostly. This is replacement opioid therapy which is methadone or subutex or buprenorphine. Another option is ultra rapid or any kind of detoxification and naltrexone therapy. Have you ever been offered before to go on methadone treatment or other opioid replacement therapy?
- So why did you decide to go on naltrexone therapy?
Well, I did try the methadone and the subutex a couple of years ago. Methadone was horrible to come off, and subutex reacted very badly with me, so that didn't work. The only other alternative for opioids was the TFs that I've used often over the years, so it really was time, crunch time to come and get off the gear. I was on ultra rapid detoxification which, as I said, succeded my expectations and I really didn't think being this easy. In my experience this clinic is definitely the best way to withdraw. It's safe and quick which is great, and pretty much painless, certainly painless for the first four days and then you have just, mild, mild symptoms, maybe on a fifth or a sixth day. And they put the chip in, which doesn't hurt at all, and then it keeps you safe for three months. So in my experience, this is definitely the best one.
- Tell us please how do you see a future life? What plan do you have for future?
Well, hopefully, I wonna come back here and get my chip redone. That would be for a longer period of time. Now I am used to it, and also I want to have a look at all the details about the mental therapy that they do here as well.
In our clinic for addiction disease, we have patient from all over the world: UK,Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham , Brighton, London , Newcastle , Southampton , Bedford , Glasgow , Leeds , Sheffield , Nottingham , and also from Germany, Italy, Usa , Austria , Poland , Greece , Bulgaria , Hungary ...