Use of psychoactive substances violates mechanisms of self-regulation in the central nervous system. Euphoria, relish caused by the drug use claim the high price. When the pleasurable effects of the psychoactive substance are gone, the rebound effects take over. This condition is called a “crash”, when the person feels worse than before taking the drug. The negative effects of drug use persist much longer than the “beneficial” ones. Therefore, pharmacological support should help.
There are a few examples of violation of mental processes by the use of psychoactive substances
- All drugs disturb sleep, its structure, quality, pattern.
- All drugs violate the individual’s control over his behavior, making him irritable, impulsive, impatient, intolerable to criticism.
- Intense and long-term use of marijuana leads to violation of thinking processes, paranoia, psychotic reactions.
- Abuse of benzodiazepines, sedatives, hypnotics leads to panic attacks, tics, increased risk of epileptic seizures.
- Cocaine, amphetamines and other psycho-stimulants after quick stimulating effect cause a long lasting “crash” condition, characterized by state of depression, lethargy, weak will, lack of energy.
- All drugs create the constant need to „take something“ to achieve psychological comfort, to get the desirable peace of mind.
To restore the sufficient amount of natural neurotransmitters, normal self-regulation between the different parts of the brain, the patient is advised to undergo a course of pharmacological treatment.
Goals of pharmacological treatment for addiction disorders are
- Protection from epileptic seizures, paranoia, aggression, suicidal tendencies.
- Providing a good quality sleep.
- Mood stabilization.
- Reduction of craving for drugs.
- Restoration of concentration, memory capacity and cognitive functions.
To find the right combination, the optimal doses of medications immediately is a difficult task even for a professional. Taking medications on the basis of such statements as „Baclofen worked for me for one hundred percents, try it too” or “Take 2 Xanax tabs before go to bed, and then, if it isn’t enough, take Midazolam or Klonopine“ is a high risk.
Pharmacological Support – Maintenance pharmacological therapy must meet the following criteria
- It must be safe.
- It must not be a source of a new dependence.
- It must not disguise the symptoms, but eliminate the cause of disorder.
- It must be selected taking into account the other existing health problems of the patient and medications taken.